Morden Recreation Ground and Village Hall has played a long and valued role in village life. It has been the location of many village events and has seen generations of children play on its field.
The new hall was opened in October 2004. It now forms the hub for village organisations and activities and provides a lovely venue for celebrations for people from Morden and the surrounding area.
The recreation ground has 2 football pitches, a tennis court and a children’s play area.
The hall and grounds are owned by The Morden Recreation Ground and Village Hall registered charity no. 301154. They are managed by a committee of trustees who are all volunteers
A bit of history …
The recreation ground has been in use since at least 1877 and was conveyed to the parish of Morden by the Drax family in 1929. A small wood and corrugated iron village hall had earlier been erected on this land and this was later extended to provide basic sports changing facilities for the users of the playing field.
Originally managed by a National Playing Fields Association Committee, the responsibility for managing the land and building was taken over by Morden Recreation Ground and Village Hall Management Committee in 1970.
By 2000, the old hall was ageing and dilapidated, it was too small, uneconomic to upgrade and, above all, falling down. After extensive consultation within the village, it was decided that the best solution was to build a new hall.
Construction of the new hall was started in December 2003 and it was officially opened on 16 October 2004. Since then, the hall has been in demand for local clubs, meetings, weddings, parties, charity fundraising and events of all kinds. The upgraded changing rooms are much appreciated by our local Morden football team and others that play on the field.